Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bowl Week One of Three

College Football Bowl Season has arrived, and it's time to pick some games. Many of you may have thought we were done picking, but you have been sadly misled. Looking at the Bowls and the entire BCS Championship Series, I have realized that sponsorship and advertising have taken over College Football. So before I get to this week's picks, let's take a look at some of this year's Bowl names:

1. San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl - The Rose is the only real flower in football
2. Papa John's.com Bowl - Better ingredients. Better Pizza. Papa John's.
3. Meineke Car Care Bowl - Does George Foreman still do Meineke commercials?
4. Chick-Fil-A Bowl - Not even the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl anymore, sad day
5. MPC Computers Bowl - What the hell is MPC?

Every year there are new names. Hell, even the official name of the Rose Bowl is now The Rose Bowl presented by Citi. But it's good to see the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl is still around. I do have to say I miss Bowls like the Copper Bowl. I'll never forget Ron Dayne vs. Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala in the 1996 Copper Bowl.

Enough about that, onto the standings and the 7 picks. Enjoy.

Standings after the Regular Season (as of December 19, 2006)
Me: 23-22
Jim: 20-25
Koontz: 14-21
Kevin: 16-27-2
Mike: 0-5

My Picks:
TCU (-13) vs. Northern Illinois
Jeff Ballard smokes pot…enough said.

BYU (-3) vs. Oregon
I wonder who Koontz takes in this game?

Rice (-4.5) vs. Troy
I had fried rice for lunch today, it was tasty.

South Florida (-4.5) vs. East Carolina
I actually rode the South Florida bandwagon for a few games this year, sticking with em.

New Mexico (-3.5) vs. San Jose St.
Home field advantage is the sole reason I’m going with New Mexico

Tulsa (+1) vs. Utah
Kevin says Magenta hates Tulsa, I say Kevin’s full of shit.

Hawaii (-7) vs. Arizona St.
Colt Brennan for heisman.

Kevin's Picks:
TCU (-13) vs. Northern Illinois
TCU gives up only 68 yards rushing per game. If TCU can contain Garret Wolfe, I don’t feel as if No. Illinois has the quarterback play to win this one.

BYU (-3) vs. Oregon
A 9 game win streak meets a 3 game losing streak. I’m going to stick with the hot team and take BYU to win by a touch.

Rice (-4.5) vs. Troy
I still stand firm that rice is for Mexicans. Mexicans don’t play football. However, Troy Freidreichs played football and he sucked. Rice wins it by 30 pts.

South Florida (-4.5) vs. East Carolina
Why is this the Papajohns.com bowl and not simply the Papa Johns Bowl? Well if you may recall, last time I picked East Carolina to win they lost to Rice. This is a no-brainer, South Florida wins with ease.

New Mexico (-3.5) vs. San Jose State
New Mexico is in the New Mexico Bowl, got to take ‘em.

Utah (-1) vs. Tulsa
*Inside tip, Magenta hates Tulsa. Take Utah.

Hawaii (-7) vs. Arizona State
Hawaii is playing in the Hawaii bowl...go figure. Hawaii can light it up and will do so against Arizona State. I see this as high scoring, with Hawaii doing just enough to cover.

Jim's Picks:
I don't know the names of all the bowls, so I am going to make up my own names for them.

The DeKalb Bowl
N. Illinois (+13) vs. TCU
I'm sure this is a terrible pick, just like DeKalb is a terrible city, I hate DeKalb. Actually I just finished typing this and came back to this pick, I'm changing my pick on this game TCU (-13) vs. Northern Illinois. N. Illinois sucks and TCU is good.

The Ty Detmer Bowl
BYU (-3) vs. Oregon
Detmer wills the Cougars to victory with his mind.

I bet nobody actually cares about this Bowl
Rice (-4.5) vs. Troy
Rice vs. Troy, get your tickets now!

The Directional School Bowl
South Florida (-4.5) vs. East Carolina
Go Bulls

The Home Game Bowl Part I
San Jose (+3.5) vs. New Mexico
San Jose wins one on the road

The Boring City Bowl, also known as the I couldn't find a line for this game Bowl
Utah (-1) vs. Tulsa
I couldn't find a line, I don't know the record of either team.

The Home Game Bowl Part II
Hawaii (-7) vs. Arizona State
Colt Brennan breaks records, then gets talked about for Heisman next year before he gets arrested, or hurt, or just blows his season.

There you have it, it's amazing how two weeks off of college football and I'm already full force into college basketball and remember nearly nothing about the season we just had. I hate DeKalb.

Koontz' Picks:
Northern Illinois (+13) vs. TCU
BYU (-3) vs. Oregon
Rice (-4.5) vs. Troy
South Florida (-4.5) vs. East Carolina
San Jose St (+3.5) vs. New Mexico
Utah (-1) vs. Tulsa
Hawaii (-7) vs. Arizona St.

And that's that. Both Jim and Kevin's blog have been updated, be sure to check them out as well.

Link of the day: City of Dekalb

No comments: