Thursday, November 16, 2006

Week 7 Picks: "A bucket of Piss"

I am really excited about this week of college football, and how can you not be? Ohio St. plays Michigan, and the Badgers are likely going to finish 11-1 under first year coach B squared. Instead of rambling on about the OSU/Mich game, let's get right into the picks.

First, the standings after week 6 (as of November 16, 2006)
Jim: 15-15
Me: 15-15
Koontz: 9-11
Kevin: 10-18-2
Mike: 0-5

Picks:
Me: Ohio (-4), Rutgers (-6.5), Arkansas (-14.5), Auburn (-3), Michigan (+7)
Kevin: West Virginia (-10.5), NC St. (-3.5), E. Carolina (-2.5), Oregon St. (-14.5), Rutgers (-6.5)
Jim: Rutgers (-6.5), Arkansas (-14.5), Kansas St. (+2.5), USC (-5.5), Ohio St. (-7)
Koontz: Wisconsin (-38), Cincy (+6.5), Ohio St. (-7), BYU (-26.5), Hawaii (-25)

My Reasonings:
1. Ohio (-4) vs. Akron (aka Lebron James' hometown)
Don't even like Ohio, I just think they are better than any other team in the MAC, which isn't saying much this season. I can't name one player on their team, yet I keep picking them. I think this is turning into a Jim/Rutgers relationship.

2. Rutgers (-6.5) @ Cincy
Speaking of Rutgers, I am picking them this week. How can you not like this line, especially when Rutgers is riding a major high and Cincy got the beat down last weekend from West Virginia. I see no reason why Rutgers doesn't win by double digits.

3. Arkansas (-14.5) @ Miss. St.
Once again, a no brainer. Even if I end up losing this one, I won't feel bad for picking it. I still have doubts about Arkansas, but they prove me wrong week after week. Doubt Corliss Williamson will go on the road to cheer on his alma mater. Don't know why I just brought up Corliss Williamson.

4. Auburn (-3) @ Alabama
I pick against Alabama and quarterback John Parker Wilson every single week, and I lose every single week. You'd think I would learn something, but I haven't. Here's to Auburn's defense injuring JPW.

5. Michigan (+7) @ Ohio St.
Just had to pick this game. I went back and forth on this one, and finally settled on Michigan to pull the upset with a sure controversy to follow. Winning score comes on a Steve Breaston punt return for a touchdown, I can already see it happening.

Kevin's Reasonings:

Summary of Kevin's weekend:

Thursday: Got into a fight with the wife, got piss drunk, don't remember going to bed.

Friday: Do homework all night. 1st time ever doing homework on a weekend, considering I am in the 17th grade, I find that impressive. Drink not a drop of beer.

Saturday: Watch football = go 0-4-1 in picks and lose $77.00 in bets. Then go to the Italian women's club to play bingo with the in-laws (someone shoot me). Still no beer drank.

Sunday: Lose Clinton Portis for season. Do more homework. Listen to voice mails from the weekend; sorry Jim. I saved it if you don't remember leaving it. Go to bed, the smell of urine comes to my nose. Apparently I was so drunk Thursday I pissed in a bucket by my bed. It made me gag throwing it out. Sadly the bucket of piss was the highlight of my weekend.


If you can't tell, I am in the mood for some serious beer drinking this weekend. Especially during the Ohio St. vs. Michigan game, perhaps a barrel here (no goonie)? I wrote this on Monday, by the time you all read it I will have taken three tests and wrote a 10 page paper plus another 5 page paper, and suffered through a sober Thursday. So I assume my need for beer will only rise by Friday, CU all at the Broux house.

Ok now my picks; sorry for the lack of analysis I gave myself ten minutes to do this and I'm already at 8. Too much bitching I suppose. Besides, not like my reasonings are ever correct.

1. WV (-10.5) vs. Pitt
West Virginia is going to beat Rutgers, this is just a step.

2. NC State (-3.5) vs. UNC
Great chance for UNC to get 2nd win of the season...doubt it though.

3. East Carolina (-2.5) vs. Rice
Rice is for Mexicans, Mexicans don't play much football.

4. Oregon State (-14.5) vs Stanford
Stanford won a game finally. Who the hell cares?

5. Rutgers (-6.5) vs Cincinnati
Mr. McNulty went to Rutgers. Alma mater means nourishing mother in latin.

*Side Note*
That shit was hilarious. I just hope people (other than us four) have the priviledge of reading what was just wrote. Good news, I plan on going to WW on saturday, I will definitely get drunk with you.


Jim's Reasonings:
Well after doing this for six weeks, I have realized one thing: we are terrible, do not use this website as a basis for real money bets. In other news the Badgers are about to go 11-1 (7-1) and not even share a Big Ten title. 7-1 wins the Big Ten at least 7 of 10 years, but of course not this season. Capital One Bowl and a faceoff against the Arkansas/Florida loser is potentially what UW will get. I chose not to pick the Badgers this week due to a line of 38. They could very well beat Buffalo something like 56-3, or give up some fluky touchdowns and win 41-21. Either way I'm staying away from that game this week, so I can lose on these picks instead.

1. Rutgers (-6.5) @ Cincinnati
Apparently I love Greg Schiano and Rutgers according to Sharp, so I am going to pick them. Cincy has played four ranked teams this year (VaTech, OhioSt, WVa, and L'ville) and two decent ones (Pitt and SFla) and lost them all except to South Florida. Rutgers is too good and will bring its undefeated season one step closer to losing a heartbreaker at WVa.

2. Arkansas (-14) @ Mississippi State
With the exception of an opening week blowout loss to USC, Arkansas has been perfect. Coming off of a big win versus Tennessee and going into a big game versus LSU next week, this could be a let down game, but I am sure it will not happen. The Bulldogs have won just one SEC game against 'Bama and that is not enough to convince me that they can hang with the Razorbacks. Go Pig Sooie.

3. Kansas State (+2.5) @ Kansas
The Wildcats, as much as I formerly disliked them, came up big against Texas last week and should have no problem winning this state rivalry game. Oh yeah and Kansas basketball lost to Oral freaking Roberts at home on Wednesday, so they don't even deserve to win this game. Anytime the #3 team in the nation loses at home to Oral Roberts, their football team loses in the same weekend. Look it up.

4. @ USC (-5.5) vs. Cal
I liked Cal, I really did. Then they decided to do what they do to me every year: botch the season. Every year, Cal will put some voice in my head that tells me that they are great, "pick me, pick me," they say. Every year I do it for awhile, and then they screw me over. This isn't limited to football either. Cal basketball is a son of a bitch. I thought Cal would roll Tennessee, they blew it, I gave up on them. Then the voices came back and I thought they would roll 'Zona last week, of course they blew it. Now it is time for the damn Golden Bears to take one on the chin to USC.

5. @ Ohio State (-7) vs. Michigan
How could I not pick this game. It is only the biggest regular season college game since well, OSU played Texas when they were 1 and 2 in the early season. But really this is about the most important regular season game in years. Ohio State is really, really good and will show that in this game. Troy Smith is Heisman, Chad Henne is a loser.

I wouldn't be surprised to lose the first three picks just on the fact that I picked road teams. I'm fairly glad my parents did not name me Billy Joe. No ACC this week. I don't like the University of Florida, Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan are both douche bags. Erin Andrews is really hot, I think she is a great sideline reporter.

*Side Note*
I agree whole heartedly with the above statements. Erin Andrews is extremely good looking, and she knows a lot about sports which makes her even hotter. And for some reason, whenever I think Kansas St., I think El Roberson. Anybody else?

Koontz' Reasonings:
1. Wisconsin (-38) vs. Buffalo
No way do the badgers have a let down here...a let down means not winning by more than 40. It's senior day and the last home game of the season, 50+ is a good chance.

2. Cincinnati (+6.5) vs. Rutgers
There has been an upset in the Big East the last two weeks and Cincinnati makes it 3 straight. 4 of their 5 losses have come against top 25 teams. This week they get one back.

3. Ohio State (-7) vs. Michigan
Well I have to pick someone and I hate Michigan so that's that...

4. BYU (-26.5) vs. New Mexico
I didn't get my picks done in time last week and it hurt me cause I would have picked my BYU team...BYU wins big again.

5. Hawaii (-25) vs. San Jose St.
They have scored 60+ in 4 of the last 5. San Jose St. isnt gonna know what hit them.

*Side Note*
First time all year someone picked 5 home teams. If intentional, perhaps a good strategy. If unintentional, weird that someone picked 5 home teams. We'll see if it works it for Koontz.

And...let the games begin so they can take off that OSU vs. Michigan countdown on ESPN. I can't believe they do that Monday Night Football too, it's sickening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that bucket of piss story, it is a classic Kevin story. I remember calling and leaving a message to him, while I was very drunk, but have no idea what it was about, can't wait to hear it. I love Rutgers.