Thursday, November 09, 2006

Week 6: Just look at the Horned Frog

Coming down to the last few weeks of the season, and the title is still up for grabs. Glad to see that we all have a legitimate shot at winning this thing, whatever this thing is. I don't have much else to say, and I just want to get these picks on here before I get another text message from Kevin. Standings and picks follow.

Standings after week 5 (as of November 9, 2006)
Jim: 13-12
Me: 13-12
Koontz: 8-7
Kevin: 10-14-1
Mike: 0-4

Me: Louisville (-6), Boise St. (-14), Houston (-3), LSU (-18), Ohio St. (-23)
Kevin: Virginia Tech (-30.5), West Virginia (-18), TCU (-6.5), Boise St. (-14), Cal (-13.5)
Jim: Wisconsin (-1.5), Texas A&M (Even), Oregon St. (-2), Oklahoma St. (-16.5), Cal (-13.5)
Koontz: Louisville (-6) , Texas (-16), Wisconsin (-1.5), Northwester (+23), Air Force (+11.5)

My Reasonings:
1. Louisville (-6) @ Rutgers
After picking against Louisville last week and losing, it’s only right that I pick them to cover this week. Besides, I think Rutgers is overrated. I know Jim is in love with Rutgers and probably has a man-crush on Greg Schiano, and that gives me all the motivation I need to pick against the Scarlet Knights.

2. Boise St. (-14) @ San Jose St.
Boise St. needs to win and win big the rest of the way to have any hopes of a BCS bowl. Once they take the lead in this one, they will not sit on it. Zabransky and his fire-beard will throw at least 3 TD’s.

3. Houston (-3) @ SMU
I don’t know much about either team, I just know that Houston is better. Seeing as how they are better, I am willing to bet that they win by at least 3 points. Plus the Cougars handled a tough Tulsa team last week. Ask Jim about that one.

4. LSU (-18) vs. Alabama
I actually did some stats in this one. LSU has outscored opponents 274-36 at home this season. Couple that with the fact I hate quarterbacks that use 3 names (e.g. John Parker Wilson and John David Booty), and LSU crushes the Crimson Tide.

5. Ohio St. (-23) @ Northwestern
Ohio St. will not have another let down game, I guarantee it. They will get back to form against a horrible Northwestern defense. This is Troy Smith’s last chance to pad his heisman stats, and he will take advantage of it. On a heisman note, it seems as if John Stocco’s heisman dream has come to an end because of a shoulder injury, and you don’t know how much it pains me to say that.

Kevin’s Reasonings:
1. Virginia Tech (-30.5) vs. Kent St.
Kent State is a 5-3 team. Of the 5 teams they have defeated, they have a combined record of 14-35 this season. Of Kent State’s 3 losses their opponents have a combined 9-20 record. That makes a grand total of 23-55 for Kent States opponents. What does this all mean? That is a difference of 32 more losses than wins. 32 is how many points Virginia Tech will win by……..Ron Mexico.

2. West Virginia (-18) vs. Cincinnati
Honestly, the West Virginia Mountaineer is one of the greatest mascots in all of sports. I truly think he could challenge a Viking to a drinking contest and possibly win. This given the fact the contest takes place at high altitudes and the drink of choice is Coors light, a taste born high in the Rockies. So I guess the Mountaineer may need a few handicaps. The mountaineer football team needs no handicaps vs. the Bearcats as WV looks to bounce back after the tough loss to Louisville.

3. TCU (-6.5) @ New Mexico
Here is the text display when the Image not load yet
(The Horned Frog Speaking: "Jeff Ballard, turns in another all around performance beating New Mexico. After the game, I will get him high as a kite on some bad ass chronic I scored."

4. Boise St. (-14) @ San Jose State
Boise State is a perfect 9-0 this season. They have a high powered offense, to go along with a strong defense. Jared Zabransky and Ian Johnson are too much for San Jose to handle.

5. California (-13.5) @ Arizona
California is #8 in the nation, and on an 8 game win streak. Their only loss came in the first game of the season to a solid Tennessee team. Each of their 8 wins following have been by at least a touchdown. Cal should have no problem winning by at least two touchdowns come Saturday. I just hope they aren’t looking forward to USC the week after.

*Side note*
Where the hell did you get that picture of a horned frog?

Jim’s Reasonings:
After a two week high came a two week low, now it is time to get back on track. Last week's lessons are as follows: don't pick MAC and Conf. USA games with teams I don't know much about, don't count on anything in the ACC, and don't throw cups at urinals. Onto this weeks (shitty) picks.

1. Wisconsin (-1.5) @ Iowa
All week long in the Wisconsin State Journal (where I get my lines), the line for this game was listed simply as OFF. Now this is due to the injury of the great John "Heisman" Stocco, with his status unknown for the week, the Glantz-Culver oddsmakers did not know what to do. Luckily, I found this line on nine.com. In other news, the Badgers are 7-1-1 against the spread, while the Hawkeyes are 1-8, just thought you should know that. Badgers complete a 7-1 Big Ten season in style, with or without Mr. Stocco. Good luck to those Badger seniors who have never beaten Iowa.

2. Texas A & M (Even) vs. Nebraska
My first Pk game of the gambling season, and I think it's a great buy. This pick was made official by using the ever failing Transitive Property. The Aggies won at Ok. St. by one, the Huskers lost at Ok. St. by 12, so therefore, the Aggies should win by 13? Doubtful, but all I need is a one point win.

3. Oregon State (-2) @ UCLA
The Beavs were my big winner last week, so I'm going to stay on the bandwagon and hope for the best. UCLA is solid, but Oregon State should win without too much trouble in Pasadena. OSU is on a 4 game win streak and UCLA is on a 4 game slide.

4. Oklahoma State (-16.5) vs. Baylor
Until this year, I always had the same thoughts about Baylor and Rutgers, dumb name, shitty team. Rutgers surprised this year, and Baylor still is not that good. Rashaun Woods 7 td's OSU 2003. That's the coolest thing OSU has ever done.

5. Cal (-13.5) @ Zona
Hopefully Cal doesn't look ahead too much to USC next week and pulls out this game in the desert. 2 Pac 10 games in one week…amazing.

Badger Basketball Final Four Bound this year.
I will score 2 points in my BBall

Koontz’ Reasonings:
1. Louisville (-6) @ Rutgers
A trip to the National Title game is theirs for the taking.

2. Texas (-16) @ Kansas St.
They can't be to happy about being the best team to be left out of the National Title game. I'm expecting them to put up a big number this week.

3. Wisconsin (-1.5) @ Iowa
If a Northwestern RB can have a big day against Iowa, I'm afraid to see what P.J Hill is gonna do to them.

4. Northwestern (+23) vs. Ohio St.
They have played well lately and I'm sure that they will bring it against the #1 team in the country.

5. Air Force (+11.5) vs. Notre Dame
I really hate Notre Dame, join the Big Ten you pussies.

Let the games begin!

No comments: