Thursday, November 23, 2006

Week 8: Happy Thanksgiving

Welcome to the Thanksgiving edition of our weekly picking segment. This week I'm going to get straight to the point, and little to no analysis will go into the picks. Standings and picks follow:

Standings after week 7 (as of November 23, 2006)
Me: 18-17
Jim: 16-19
Koontz:11-14
Kevin: 12-21-2
Mike: 0-5

Me: Ohio (-3), North Carolina (-7), Boise St. (-2.5), TCU (-9.5), NC. St. (-2.5)
Kevin: Cincy (-4), Boise St. (-2.5), Ohio (-3), Nebraska (-14), Air Force (-10.5)
Jim: Boston College (-4), Cincy (-4), Boise St. (-2.5), Hawaii (-17.5), Mid Tenn(-8.5)
Koontz: BYU (-10.5), Hawaii (-17.5), Nevada (+2), Tennessee (-20), Oregon St. (-3)

My Reasonings:
1. Ohio (-3) @ Miami (OH)
This is simple...I pick Ohio every week, and Miami (OH) is not good at football.

2. North Carolina (-7) @ Duke
It is my personal opinion that the Tar Heels area much better football team than their record indicates. Also, Duke is not good at football.

3. Boise St. (-2.5) @ Nevada
Nevada is decent, I think Boise is better. Besides, they can't possibly ruin the perfect season at Nevada...or could they?

4. TCU (-9.5) @ Colorado St.
Jeff Ballard smokes pot, which was brought to my attention a couple weeks ago by Kevin. Colorado St. really misses Bradly Van Pelt.

5. NC St. (-2.5) vs. East Carolina
East Carolina lost to Rice last week, please tell me that NC St. can beat them.

Kevin's Reasonings:
Well early last week, I guaranteed a 5-0 weekend. The following picks are my guarantee to be locks come Saturday afternoon. So reheat some turkey and stuffing, sit back and watch yourself collect. Simply place 60 dollars on a 5 team parlay and watch it turn into $1,320. I feel no need for analysis, because these picks are just that good and will not lose...

*all wages are calculated on an assumption an average Culvers employee makes $7.50 per hour.

1. Cincinnati (-4) vs. Uconn
In the past, whenever “lock of the century” was applied to a game, the turnout was not so pretty. Well my friends I am breaking that curse. This is the lock of the century, no doubt about it. Cincinnati wins big and covers.

2. Boise St. (-2.5) @ Nevada

3. Ohio (-3) @ Miami Ohio

4. Nebraska (-14) vs. Colorado

5. Air Force (-10.5) @ UNLV

Jim's Reasonings:
This week's picks will be entered on Thanksgiving Day and will hopefully be decent for once. This week, I am going to spare everyone of any analysis, because I obviously am not an expert.

1. Boston College (-4) @ Miami
I like to call them BoCo, I don't like Miami, Doug Flutie 22 years ago beat them.

2. Cincinnati (-4) @ Connecticut
Remember the year that Wisconsin lost to Cincy and still won the Rose Bowl, why the hell can't that happen anymore. This sucks.

3. Boise State (-2.5) @ Nevada
Well I picked the opposite of Rutgers first loss last week, let's see if I can do it again.

4. @ Hawaii (-17.5) vs. Purdue
Last year Kevin and I won about 45 dollars when Wisconsin beat Hawaii the day after Thanksgiving. This year they will get back at the Big Ten.

5. @ Middle Tennessee State (-9.5) vs. Troy
Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Home of the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders.

Here's to trying not to suck.

Koontz' Reasonings:
1. BYU (-10.5) @ Utah

2. Hawaii (-17.5) vs. Purdue

3. Nevada (+2) vs. Boise St.
Nevada plays a Boise State team that hasnt performed well on the road. They are also coming off two consecutive 42-0 wins, I think they have a good shot at the upset bid.

4. Tennessee (-20) vs. Kentucky
Kentucky beat Louisana-monroe by 2. I'll take my chances on Tennessee by 20 at home.

5. Oregon St. (-3) vs. Oregon
I guess you could say Im a closet beaver fan...I really don't know why.


Let the games begin!

No comments: