Thursday, November 02, 2006

Week 5

If there was ever a week to make a move up in the standings, last week was that week. However, none of us did so as we went a combined 5-15. I think this week could be very similar to last week, which is both good and bad. Good because one of use could make a big move, bad because I know that move isn't going to be made by me. I had a tough time picking games this week, and it seems to get tougher every week now. I find that it's rather easy to pick the winner of a game, but rather difficult for that winner to cover the spread. Seems to be a common theme for all of us. Anyways, here it goes for week 5.

Standings after week 4 (as of November 2, 2006)
Jim: 11-9
Me: 10-10
Kevin: 7-12-1
Koontz: 3-7
Mike: 0-4

Week 5 Picks:
Me: West Virginia (Even), Wisconsin (-7), Ohio (-6.5), Arkansas (-2.5), Georgia Tech (-5)
Kevin: Minnesota (-6), USC (-28), Ohio St. (-24), BC (-3.5), Wisconsin (-7)
Jim: Wisconsin (-7), Tulsa (-3.5), W. Michigan (-13.5), Oregon St. (-2), BC (-3.5)
Koontz: Louisville (Even), Wisconsin (-7), Northwestern (+20), Illinois (+24), BYU (-17)

My Reasons:
1. West Virginia (Even) @ Louisville
I'm taking West Virginia in this Thursday night Big East showdown. Winner of the game has a good chance of getting to the National Championship. I really didn't want to pick this game, but I did. Louisville hasn't had to play anybody really good thus far, so the injury of Michael Bush hasn't hurt them too much. That is until this game. No Bush=No BCS for Louisville.

2. Wisconsin (-7) vs. Penn St.
I haven't been impressed with Penn St., and frankly, I think Anthony Morelli sucks. The Badgers will not fail to cover two games in a row, I guarantee it.

3. Ohio (-6.5) @ E. Michigan
Every once in awhile, I have to pick a MAC game. Ohio has won 4 in a row coming in, while E. Michigan is 1-7 on the year. Hey...at least the beat Toledo a few weeks back.

4. Arkansas (-2.5) @ South Carolina
There are several reasons not to pick this game:
1. SEC night games always scare me.
2. This is a potential look ahead game for Arkansas as they have Tennessee next week.
The fact that there are reasons not to take Arkansas is the entire reason why I took them. Reverse psychology or something.

5. Georgia Tech (-5) @ NC St.
I'm back on the Georgia Tech bandwagon. Last time I took them, they failed to cover, but I'm trying again. How can I go against the man-child Calvin Johnson? I can't.

Kevin's Reasons:
Well last weekend was awful, at least Marshall covered. I think it's time to get serious; the last few weeks have been bad for me, so here it is my best shot at 5-0. I am beginning to wonder which will happen first for me, a 5-0 week or a 0-5 week.

1. Minnesota (-6) vs. Indiana
Ok, Indiana had a phenomenal game last week against Michigan State. Minnesota had a horrid game against Ohio St. Minnesota however will bounce back after its blowout loss to the Buckeyes. I don't see Indiana as that good of a team; neither do I see Minnesota as one. I think Minnesota at home will find enough to cover and win this game.

2. USC (-28) @ Stanford
Stanford thinks their so damn smart. Well maybe they could actually figure out how to win a game. Maybe they will by seasons end but it won't be this one.

3. Ohio St. (-24) @ Illinois
I hate "Juice" Williams.

4 Boston College (-3.5) @ Wake
Well Wake fucked me over pretty bad last week. Their avg. margin of victory going into last weeks game was only 8 pts. If you recall they were 8 pt favorites. I was aware of this but figured they were a solid lock. Well that turned our great, so its time for them to lose this week to BC. Should be close but BC wins, I hope.

5. Wisconsin (-7) vs. Penn St.
I seriously think Vegas needs to start drawing up odds on the time and or place of death of Penn. State's coach Joe Paterno. I am betting it happens during the post game press conference where upon being asked a question, he sits silently and motionless in his chair for a five minute period, until someone finally decides to take his pulse and realizes he is dead. Autopsy shows he in fact has actually been dead for the past 6 months. Unexplainable yet not surprising.

*Side Note on Kevin's comments*
-The "Juice" is on the loose
-Tiger Woods went to Stanford, he's a winner, perhaps they could learn something from him?
-JoePa has been dead for much longer than 6 months
-Did anyone see that clip when JoePa ran after the refs at halftime of a game? Whichever battery they had in his body should be coined "The Battery of America"

Jim's Reasons:
Well last week sucked as I and everyone else expected. One of my ever popular rules did not work out in my favor. The "Wisconsin Always Covers Rule" beat me for the first time since the picks began, which makes this week harder for me, since now apparently Wisconsin does not always cover. I billed Wake Forest as my lock of the week to people I talked to Friday night and that did not turn out too well either. I should have jumped the Rutgers and Arkansas bandwagons a week earlier, as they won without covering. In other news, Temple won, glad I didn't pick against them, and the "Temple Rule" is officially dead. This week may be just as hard as last week, not good times.

1. Wisconsin (-7) vs. Penn State
I know they didn't cover last week, and this is a trap game with Iowa coming up, but I have to pick them, I do every week. Remember to do as JoePa says, "be respectful, before, during and after the game."

2. Tulsa (-3.5) @ Houston
I believe this is my first Conf. USA pick since we started the picks, and if it doesn't go well it may be my last. This game is a first place/second place battle and should be close, but I think Tulsa comes away with a win in the game and in the poll on Least Likely Road Trip City in America.

3. Western Michigan (-13.5) vs. Miami (Ohio)
The Broncos are 6-2 and have lost to the MAC East Division leader Ohio, and frisky Indiana, while Miami is 1-8 and has beaten only Buffalo. To me this line seems a little low, but I'll take it as it is. In other news, former Miami QB and Super Bowl Champion, Ben Roethlisberger is terrible.

4. Oregon State (-2) vs. Arizona State
Let's hope there is no letdown game for the Beavers against ASU. After OSU's big win last week against USC, I don't see them having too much trouble with a middle of the pack Sun Devil team at home. When Jake Plummer was at Arizona State, I was a fan of him, when he was on the Cardinals, I liked him also, when he went to the Broncos, he became a douche bag.

5. Boston College (-3.5) @ Wake Forest
My shakiest pick of the week comes as a classic "Revenge Pick," as Wake screwed me last week. I had a few other ideas for the pick, but settled on this, hoping for some sweet revenge.

No Texas A & M this week, even though they have been treating me well, and also no SEC which makes me happy. I hope WVU beats L'ville on Thursday. In NBA news, I predict the Bucks will win 42 games, get the 7th seed in the playoffs, lose in the first round, and spread Christmas cheer all season long with their new green and red uni's.

*Side Note on Jim's comments*
-I think Joe Paterno officially changed his name to JoePa
-JoePa is actually a puppet controlled by Penn St. Boosters
-Ben Roethliswhocareshowtospelltherest does suck
-Jake Plummer is in fact a douche bag, put in Jay Cutler
-I am a big fan of the new Bucks uni's as well

Now onto Koontzy woontzy's picks. And yes, I am gay.

Koontz's Reasons:
1. Louisville (Even) vs. West Virginia
Pitsnoggle isn't playing, I'll take Louisville.

2. Northwestern (+20) @ Iowa
I should have picked them last week so I'm picking them this week.

3. Illinois (+24) vs. Ohio St.
I may be a little crazy but...Upset of the year, maybe even of the decade. Illinois over Ohio State.

4. BYU (-17) @ Colorado St.
Im gonna ride BYU til I lose.

5. Wisconsin (-7) vs. Penn St.
Screwed all of us last weekend, but I talked to Stocco and he said they will have no problem covering.

*Side Note on Koontz's comments*
-Believe it or not, Pittsnogle is not working in the coal mines, he is actually in the NBA
-If I hear the phrase the "Juice is on the loose" or "Squeeze the Jreferringfering to Illinois quarterback Juice Williams one more time, I will kill someone.
-Stocco for Heisman

As always, let the games begin!

No comments: