Sunday, October 01, 2006

Weekend Recap

I thought I would post a little recap of the week that was and how the picks panned out. All in all, I could've done better with the picks, but I didn't. Also, I am happy to announce a new weekly blog that is in the mix. In addition to my top 5 betting picks of the week (NCAA football only), three other special guests will be picking their top 5 as well. Hopefully we will be able to do it every week and keep a running total on each of our records throughout the season. I will post the picks every Thursday before the Thursday night game starts, so check that out. With that said, onto the recap.

Baseball Picks

NL Central
My pick: Houston Astros
Winner: St. Louis Cardinals
Thoughts: Anybody could've picked the Cardinals to win, I decided to go out on a limb and take the Astros. At least they made it interesting.

NL West
My pick: San Diego Padres
Winner: San Diego Padres
Thoughts: Both the Padres and Dodgers are playing good baseball...NLCS matchup anyone????

NL Wildcard
My pick: Philadelphia Phillies
Winner: Los Angeles Dodgers
Thoughts: I obviously I was wrong on this one, and to make it worse, the Phillies costed me $250 on parlay when they lost to the Nationals 3-1. I don't like the Phillies right now.

I only picked 1 of 3 right overall...not too good.

Side Note: At least the Brewers finished above the Cubbies.

College Football Picks

1. BYU (-110) at TCU -5.5 (-110)
My Pick: TCU to cover and win by 14
Result: BYU won the game 31-17, broke TCU's 13 game winning streak in the process, and started my weekend off 0-1.

2. Tennessee -13 (-110) at Memphis (-110)
My Pick: Tennessee to cover and win by 21
Result: Tennessee won by 34. 1-1 on the weekend.

3. Boise St. +4 (-110) at Utah (-110)
My pick: Boise St. by 3
Result: They ended up winning by 33. Either way, I got this one right and am now 2-1.

4. Michigan -10 (-110) at Minnesota (-110)
My pick: Michigan to cover and win by 17
Result: Michigan won by 14, got that weird jug back, and made me 3-1.

5. The Temple Rule of Thumb
My pick: Vanderbilt to cover (-34) and win by 42
Result: Vanderbilt won 43-14, which means they didn't quite cover. The loss puts me at 3-2 for the weekend.

Bad news: 3 for 5 isn't very good, and I don't get how Vandy didn't cover.
Good news: If you go 3 for 5 every weekend, you will win money every weekend. Also, despite the loss, The Temple Rule of Thumb is still a rule of thumb.

That's it for the recap. Remember to check back on Thursday for the new weekly 4 person picking segment. I don't have a name for it right now, but I will try to think of one before Thursday rolls around. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. All suggestions will be noted and appreciated. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: