Thursday, October 05, 2006

Predictions from the Three Amigos

Here are the picks for this week. We were supposed to have four individuals making predictions, but only three (including myself) are doing so this week. I have the picks listed below for easy viewing, and then the reasonings for each pick to follow if you're into that. I still don't have a name for this weekly event, so please give me one. That said, onto the picks:

Disclaimer: All lines are current as of 12:00 pm on October 5, 2006. Lines taken from BetGameday.com

Andy
Wisconsin (-20.5), Pittsburgh (-7), Georgia Tech (14), West Virginia (-21), South Florida (-6.5)

Kevin
Wisconsin (-20.5), Iowa (-11), Miami FL (-18.5), Alabama (-29), Georgia Tech (14)

Jim
Wisconsin (-20.5), Clemson (-16.5), Auburn (-15.5), LSU (-2), West Virginia (-21)

My Reasonings:
1. Wisconsin (-20.5) vs. Northwestern
Simply put, Northwestern sucks. They have some sort of quarterback shuffle going on that isn't working. They have lost to some bad teams this year and got crushed by Penn St. last weekend, and Penn St. didn't even play well.

2. Pittsburgh (-7) @ Syracuse
Tyler Palko will absolutely shred the Syracuse defense. Also, Syracuse may be without 2 starting wide outs in this one.

3. Georgia Tech (-14) vs. Maryland
Georgia Tech has Reggie Ball and Calvin Johnson, Maryland doesn't.

4. West Virginia (-21) @ Miss. St.
West Virginia has too much offense and Miss. St. is not good. 21 points is not much to ask from WVU.

5. South Florida (-6.5) vs. UCONN
I usually only use the UCONN name for the basketball team, but I was too lazy to write out the whole name. I only say this because the UCONN football team doesn't warrant the UCONN name.

Kevin's Reasonings:
1. Wisconsin (-20.5) vs. Northwestern
First off, I'm gonna take Wisconsin to beat Northwestern in this Big Ten matchup of some of the youngest D1 coaches in the nation. Guaranteed to be talked about all game.

2. Iowa (-11) vs. Purdue
Second, I will take the Iowa Hawkeyes (Bielema's alma mater) to defeat the Purdue Boilermakers. Iowa will be looking to bounce back from a loss to the #1 Buckeyes last weekend.

3. Miami (FL) (-18.5) vs. North Carolina
Moving away from the Big Ten onto the ACC, I select the University of Miami Florida to win big at home versus the North Carolina Tar Heels.

4. Alabama (-29) vs. Duke
Sticking with the ACC, I'm gonna pick the Duke Blue Devils, with their horrid 3.25 points per game to lose badly on the road at the Hands of the Crimson Tide in Alabama.

5. Georgia Tech (-14) vs. Maryland
Finally I like the G. Tech Yellow Jackets on the Shoulders of the man child Calvin Johnson to beat the Maryland Terrapins.

Jim's Reasonings:
1. Wisco (-20.5) vs. Northwestern
I always go with Wisconsin against Northwestern, even the year after they give up 674 yards of offense to them.

2. Clemson (-16.5) @ Wake Forest
Clemson killed me against Florida State three weeks ago and they have been covering the spread easily lately.

3. Auburn (-15.5) vs. Arkansas
SEC battles are good, but Auburn beat LSU and killed everyone else they played.

4. LSU (-2) @ Florida
I like LSU, I don't know why, plus I hate Florida.

5. West Virginia (-21) @ Miss. St.
Mississippi State sucks, and W.Va. is good, yeah and Steve Slaton.

So there you have it, all the picks and all the reasons. Let the games begin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a little drunk when we decided to do this, so Im not sure who the missing "amigo" is but I have a feeling his name starts with K and ends in oontz.

SBS said...

Although you're guess is a good one, you are not correct. It is actually a person by the name of Mike O. who is partaking in this weekly event. Koontz, however, whould be a fine addition.