Thursday, October 19, 2006

back down to three

Well it's Thursday already, and that means the college football picks are in. Mike is on a week hiatus, so we are back down to 3 for week 3. Also, we are still waiting for a make-up date announcement for the postponed Miami (OH) vs. Buffalo game, and Mike's pick for that game will be honored. Once again, nothing new or fancy really. I will list the picks and then each of our reasons for picking each game. Before I begin, I want to point out that I am in the lead (no surprise), and that I plan on extending the lead by going 5 for 5 this week. That said, here's a quick look at the standings going into week 3:

Standings after week 2 (as of October 19, 2006)
Me: 7-3
Kevin: 4-6
Jim: 6-4
Mike: 0-4

*All lines are taken from BetGameday.com, and are current as of 5:00 pm on Thursday October 19, 2006.*

My Picks: Wisconsin (-6.5), West Virginia (-22), Notre Dame (-13.5), Tennessee (-11), Boise St. (-21)
Kevin's Picks: Arkansas (-21), Tennessee (-11), Michigan (-14), Wisconsin (-6.5), Auburn (-32)
Jim's Picks: Northern Illinois (-33.5), Arkansas (-21), Western Michigan (-3.5), Texas A&M (+3.5), Wisconsin (-6.5)

My Reasons:
1. Wisconsin (-6.5) @ Purdue
Wisconsin is on a roll right now, and I think we all know by now that Wisconsin is one of the best bets every week as they continuously cover week after week.

2. West Virginia (-22) @ UCONN
UCONN cannot stop Pat White and Steve Slayton, they will both get close to 200 yards on the ground.

3. Notre Dame (-13.5) vs. UCLA
As much as I dislike Brady Quinn and his sister, I have to believe they will cover this week at home against the Bruins. There will be absolutely no defense played in this game by either team, and the score should be something like 42-24.

4. Tennessee (-11) vs. Alabama
Just found out a couple weeks ago that Alabama QB John Parker Wilson (not to be confused with USC QB John David Booty), was on the MTV show Two A Days and is know nicknamed Hollywood by teammates. Apparently his younger brother is the starting QB on the show. Actually, Hollywood Wilson is probably just a little less gay than John Parker Wilson, so maybe he should stick with it. Either way though, he is still going to suck.

5. Boise St. (-21) @ Idaho
I seem to watch Boise St. play every week on TV, and I like them for some reason. They don't have much defense, but the offense is unstoppable, and Idaho won't stop it.

Kevin's Reasons:
1. Arkansas (-21) @ Mississippi
Arkansas beat Auburn by 17. Hopefully they can beat Mississippi by that as well.

Note to Kevin: If they win by just 17, they won't cover.

2. Tennessee (-11) vs. Alabama
#7 Tennessee off a week rest win it in Knoxville.

Note to Kevin: There seems to be a lack of enthusiasm in this weeks picks, just my personal opinion. Maybe you were busy? Maybe you are disgusted with last week's performance? Who knows.

3. Michigan (-14) vs. Iowa
Michigan in the Big House stays undefeated.

Note to Kevin: Another one sentence reason, what is this?

4. Wisconsin (-6.5) @ Purdue
GO BUCKY!

Note to Kevin: I will let this one slide.

5. Auburn (-32) vs. Tulane
Tulane lost by 42 on the road to LSU. Lets see if it holds true for a better Auburn team.

Jim's Reasons:
1. Northern Illinois (-33.5) vs. Temple
Using the Temple Corollary for the second consecutive week I will take the Huskies over the Owls. This is not due to the fact that I was lost in DeKalb, Illinois earlier this fall. I hate DeKalb, but Temple really sucks.

Ahh...DeKaaaaaaaaaaaaaalb. So many memories. Not really, but it's fun to say.

2. Arkansas (-21) vs. Ole Miss
The SEC is very tough and Arkansas is undefeated so far in it. Ole Miss will be no match for the Razorbacks. One common theme I use from week to week is take a team that once screwed me over and Arkansas did just that against Auburn two weeks ago. Damn I hate the SEC.

Note to Jim: Sorry the line changed so much, hope you don't get screwed over.

3. Western Michigan (-3.5) @ Ball State
I love MAC football, I have nothing else to add.

You wouldn't.

4. Texas A&M (+3.5) @ Oklahoma State
I am not a huge fan of the Big 12, but I have always liked A&M ever since Sirr Parker and the Aggies beat K-State in the '99 Big 12 Title game to prevent the Wildcats from being a National Title contender.

Upon seeing this pick, I immediately liked it. Also, where the hell is Sirr Parker now?

5. Wisconsin (-6.5) @ Purdue
Badgers are killing right now, leading the Big Ten in scoring and are number six in the country in yards allowed per game. Also last time the Badgers traveled to Ross-Ade Stadium, Kyle Orton "called his own number" and blew the game. Damn Kyle Orton, damn Purdue, and damn the Chicago Bears.

I completely agree with this statement. While we are on the topic of Kyle Orton, has he shaved that neck beard yet that he grew last winter? Two words for Kyle Orton...Scott Starks.

Jim also added that he wished he would also have picked Boise over Idaho (which I did), Cal over Washington, W.V. over UConn (which I did), and Tennessee over Bama (which I did).

A couple of things before this entry ends. There is a segment in the works where Jim for sure (haven't talked to Kevin or Mike about it) will do a guest blog. I'm guessing he will pattern his style after the great Bill Simmons of ESPN, and I know a lot of you read his stuff on Page 2. Hopefully it will become a weekly thing. I figure it will add a little something to the blog and that perhaps people will read and comment more often than the already do. Wait...nobody comments right now...damnit. Anyways, let the games begin.

No comments: