Wednesday, September 13, 2006

State Resident Nicknames

My buddy Ryan and I were coming back from the Dells today and somehow had a discussion about state resident nicknames. I said something about San Diego and San Diegans (Anchorman of course), and that turned into us attempting to list off as many state resident nicknames as possible (we were bored). It is a lot more difficult than you would think though. Obviously, a resident of Wisconsin is a Wisconsinite and a resident of New York is a New Yorker...those are two of the easiest. But some of the nicknames are just ridiculous and impossible to get. For example Vermont (Vermonter), Connecticut (Connecticuter or Nutmegger), Massachusetts (Bay Stater), and of course New Mexico (New Mexican) are just a few of the ones that I was not aware of. I figured that people from New Mexico called themselves New Mexicans, but it's just weird to me. Would you really want to call yourself a New Mexican? Anyways, I found the list of state resident nicknames for all 50 states. I don't know if they are official or not, but they look legitimate to me. Check them out here. And while you are there, check out the state mottos or just click on mottos.

No comments: